HomeAbout the Library / January 2015 Board Meeting Minutes

January 2015 Board Meeting Minutes


Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version

Prince Rupert Library Board Meeting Minutes

January 22, 2015

Present:

Devlin Fernandes (DF), Tim MacDonald (TM), Helen Moore (HM), Joy Thorkelson (JT), Dale White (DW), Lauren Williams (LW), Joe Zelwietro Chief Librarian (JZ)

Regrets: Glenn Groulx (GG), Brent Patriquin (BP), Peter Maksymyszyn (PM)

Meeting commenced at 7:15 pm.

  • Motion to accept agenda, LW motion, DF seconded, Passed.
  • Motion to accept library board meeting minutes of Nov 24, 2014 with the correction that HM was present at the November meeting. JT motion, TM seconded, Passed.
  • Discussion about Prince Rupert City Council notices regarding the library's community enhancement grant and the appointment of Joy Thorkelson as council representative. The library received 65% of the requested amount. The board was informed that it is not known if the Library will receive all or part of the remaining 35% of the request. It would be best for the library to be prudent. As well the library will have Barry Cunningham as the alternate council representative on the library board. It would be a good idea for JZ to write a letter thanking City Council for the grant and to invite Council to come to the library and see the services it provides the community; perhaps the housing committee or other Council activities could make use of the multi-purpose room as has happened in the past. As well library board and staff will explore ways to best serve worker's camps that could develop in Prince Rupert (and nearby)
  • Discussion about circulation statistics and financial reports for 2014. Motion to adopt this report moved by JT, seconded by TM, Passed.
  • Motion regarding Rattenbury Plans
    • "The Archives will publicly acknowledge on an ongoing basis by means to be determined by the Archives the library's gift of the Rattenbury plans.
    • Any revenue raised by the Public Library or the Archives by the sale of Rattenbury plan merchandise in excess of $5,000 annually will be shared equally by the Public Library and the Archives." Motion by LW, seconded DW, Passed
  • Board Chair requests that all trustees bring any contract language concerns to next meeting. It was suggested to have a regular library board meeting in February and March as well as a special library board meeting in March specific to contract negotiations. The recommended dates for everyone to consider are Feb. 26, March 5 (contract negotiation mtg) and March 25 or 26. JZ will poll trustees for final March date later in February.
  • Brief discussion about ways to explore our programming, but conversation was limited and will resume during next regular meeting.

Meeting Adjourned at 9:40 pm. Next Meeting at 7:15pm on February 26, 2015.