HomeAbout the Library / October 2013 Board Meeting Minutes

October 2013 Board Meeting Minutes


Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version

Prince Rupert Library Board Meeting Minutes

October 21, 2013

Present:

Adrienne Johnston (AJ), Helen Moore (HM), Brent Patriquin (BP), Paul Kennedy (PK), Jan Palmer (JP), Peter Maksymyszyn (PM), Joe Zelwietro (JZ) [Chief Librarian]

Regrets: Lauren Williams (LW), Tim MacDonald (TM)

Meeting commenced at 7:05 pm.

  • Presentation by Corinne Bomben, Chief Financial Officer, City of Prince Rupert. Corinne detailed the Library's SOFI (Statement Of Financial Information) and answered the trustees' questions.
  • After presentation, trustees resumed the regular Board meeting. The agenda was accepted, motion PK, AJ seconded, Passed.
  • Acceptance of September 2013 meeting, AJ moved, JP seconded. Passed
  • Chief Librarian updated trustees on several matters:
    • Reviewed preliminary conversation with BG LNG company representative regarding possible donation to the Library, nothing final as of yet.
    • Reviewed newly secured (NCLN, Hecate Strait Employment Development Services, ChildrenFirst) funding ($4000) and newly applied for, but still unsecured funding (NHA).
    • Summarized AJ's and JZ's meeting with new City Manager Bob Long to the Board, a good meeting, respectful and both sides made their positions known, hopefully further meetings will result.
    • The Library will need a new photocopier in 2014, as Xerox will not extend our service contract.
    • Discussion about how the Library can raise money on its own. Possible ideas include, some service fees implemented, possible cafe in multi-purpose room, 'pay-it-forward' ideas to help poorer patrons avoid imposed service fees. JZ will research Library Act, draw up possibilities and report back to the Board, potential coffee machine or cafe or something similar to be developed in the multi-purpose room. JZ to write up detailed possibilities together with associated issues. HM to talk to others re: the idea to see if they can find out anything relevant. JP will contact the appropriate people at Channel 10 to see how/if the Library can use the channel announcements.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:45 pm. Next Meeting at 7pm (18 November 2013).