HomeAbout the Library / May 2016 Board Meeting Minutes

May 2016 Board Meeting Minutes


Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version

Prince Rupert Library Board Meeting Minutes

May 26, 2016

Present:

Barry Cunningham (BC), Devlin Fernandes (DF), Helen Moore (HM), Brent Patriquin (BP), Jagdev Uppal (JU), Dale White (DW), Andrea Wilmot (AW), Joe Zelwietro (JZ, chief librarian)

Regrets: Tim MacDonald (TM), Lauren Williams (LW), Glenn Groulx (GG)

AGM commenced at 7:15 pm.

  • Motion to accept Agenda with modification (i.e. library participation in Seafest) by HM, seconded by BP, passed.
  • Motion to accept April 2016 Library Board Mtg, Minutes by DW, seconded by BP, Passed.
  • Introduction of new library board trustees. New trustees given Library Act, BCLTA Handbooks, links to digital copies of library's collective agreement, and library policies.
  • Discussion about the situation of lead in the library water system. JZ detailed the actions taken so far including staff carrying out a flushing regimen on a daily basis which reduces the lead content to below the Maximum Allowable Concentration (MAC), communication between JZ and Public Health, City of Prince Rupert and SD52 staff. JZ will also speak with city building inspector regarding two matters:
    • a) cost of new combination sink/fountain in both Men's and Women's washrooms
    • b) is a automated flushing valve possible for the building
  • Discussion about potential 5 year contract/planning between the library board and the city of Prince Rupert. JZ will contact Lester Centre and Museum to see what they are doing about the situation and report back to Board. Trustees will give feedback to JZ re: the library proposal. JZ will edit the financial request as indicated by board (i.e. provide another scenario based on major project go-forward FID (Final Investment Decision).
  • Discussion regarding promotion of library events, JZ to alter registration process to allow patrons to opt-into library email list during registration process.
  • JZ requested an extension for delivery of Chief Librarian job description. This was granted and will be delivered digitally to library board 3 weeks prior to September library board meeting.
  • Funding update: The library's request for funding was denied by the Young Canada Works program (YCW of Department of Heritage Canada), JZ will follow this up by communication with YCW representative. JZ will also inform our MP Nathan Cullen of the situation. JZ will contact local TD Bank to request possible donation to fill void left by YCW decision.
  • Discussion about permission forms and pictures of patrons used for promotional events. There is difference of perspective whether an opt-in permission structure or a opt-out permission structure is appropriate in the library. The library as a public space vs. the library as a safe place perspective. This conversation will continue and in the meantime permission slips will be given to parents of children in library-sponsored programs (eg. Tales for Twos, Story Hour, After School programs and an opt-out permission structure will be used for larger public events in the Library. JZ will report back to the board.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:50 pm. Next Meeting at 7 pm June 16, 2016.