HomeAbout the Library / January 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

January 2017 Board Meeting Minutes


Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version

Prince Rupert Library Board Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Present:

Tim MacDonald (TM), Devlin Fernandes (DF), Brent Patriquin (BP), Glenn Groulx (GG), Dale White (DW), Heather Rose(HR), Joe Zelwietro (JZ) (Chief Librarian)

Regrets: Helen Moore (HM), Jagdev Uppal (JU), Andrea Wilmot (AW), Chelsea Keays (CK)

Meeting commenced at 7:10 pm.

  • General discussion about the Consent Agenda method and ways of improving it. JZ will separate the next Agenda into two parts: the consent agenda and the discussion agenda and will provide printed versions of all digital materials to those trustees who wish to have printed. At this point I think 2 trustees have requested paper copies (DW and BP). Anybody else, please let me know.
  • Consent modified by removing the “Imperial Oil grant” from the consent agenda. Motion to pass modified consent agenda by HR, seconded by GG, passed. Items accepted in consent agenda:
    • Minutes of the November 16, 2016 meeting
    • NWLF/NELF letter
    • Libraries Branch’s response to NWLF/NELF letter
    • Community Enhancement Grant letter
    • Library financial statement
    • Read with the Rampage event advertisement
    • Librarian’s Report
  • Items to be discussed in Discussion agenda:
    • Chair and vice-Chair elections
    • Imperial Oil grant
    • Idea for used books
    • Job share discussion
    • Chief Librarian job discussion
    • Prince Rupert Library Letter of Support to SD#52

Moving onto Discussion Agenda:

  • Trustees discussed the need for elections of Chair and vice-Chair positions. The election will be postponed, the present Chairperson TM will write to all trustees about this matter.
  • Discussion about the job share request and response.
  • JZ and DF will work together on a letter of support, circulate it among trustees and send an appropriate one to the SD#52.
  • Discussion of possibility of having local artist/craftsperson to make book art with some of our older discarded books.
  • In camera discussion of Chief Librarian’s job description. Requests to Chief Librarian:
    • Provide job description of Deputy Librarian (can be done working with the DL). Board does not want to finalize Chief Librarian’s JD in isolation.
    • Go through draft JD of Chief Librarian and identify which tasks are currently being done by Chief Librarian & % of time per month, and priority of categories of duties (e.g. does external relations take up 30% of time, and is most important?)
    • The Board would like to do performance review with Chief Librarian to offer feedback and growth opportunities. Can we discuss at the next meeting how to best conduct one?
      • Can we see performance review template as example?

Meeting Adjourned at 9:00 pm. Next Meeting at 7pm (Feb 15, 2017).